|Photo by Lauren Puls|
Lessons from trapeze that help me (in hiking and in life):
1. It's not all about strength. Flexibility and balance are just as important. But you can't do it if you aren't strong, so practice those situps, pushups, and pullups *and* stretch!
2. You have to learn to let go at some point, and trust that you've prepared sufficiently, so that when you fall, the fabrics and knots you've created will be enough to keep you up.
3. You can tap into your energy reserves and go beyond what you think you can do.
4. You have to know when to stop when your muscles are shaking and your brain is too tired to think clearly.
5. It's not about the tricks and the poses, it's about finding the beauty in getting from one move to the next, and savoring the flow, making the in-between the most interesting part. Because most of the time is the in-between time.