I was eager to get out because it was finally warm enough, with the forecasted low in the 50's, to try out the DIY Karo Top Quilt that I made back in February. I'd tested it out in my backyard, but this was its first trip out on the trail.
Third weekend in a row with rain. Thankfully, dark clouds warned of the approaching storm. I managed to get my tarp pitched, hammock hung, and bear bag rope thrown in record time, all before the first drops began to fall. It rained half then night and then the wind picked up and temps dropped, providing a good first test for my quilt.
|Stealth site halfway up the hillside and sheltered from the wind. Sun came out in the morning so I could take a photo.|
The second thing I learned about my quilt is that it proved to be wide enough, at least so far. Even though I made it only 40 inches wide at the top. Guess it really is true that I didn't need more because the hammock and underquilt wrap around me.
The only thing I think I need to work on is the footbox, since I haven't decided how to make that yet. I will either add more snaps to make the footbox extend up to my knees, or sew it together. But overall, I really loved by quilt and was surprised that it kept me so toasty.
|So happy after my first night in my DIY top quilt.|
|Sweet shrub, with wild azalea in the background.|
|Solomon's seal, still wet with rain.|
|Third week in a row my car has been by herself at the trailhead-- I think she's getting pretty lonely.|