Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Return to the La Sal Mountains

I finally made it back to the La Sal Mountains of Utah. The summer flowers have bloomed and most have already gone to seed. The leaves are starting to change. And, they hired me for the entire school year which means that even though I missed summer here, I have a chance to be in this place for a whole fall, winter and spring!
Dusty beardtongue (Penstemon comarrhensus) has woolly anthers and linear leaves, and is only found in the Colorado Plateau region.
Enough time to learn more of the plants and butterflies and see a few more places. Including more of the La Sals that I missed last winter when the snow was still covering them. Possibly enough time to fall even more deeply for this place if I'm not careful.
Western Branded Skipper (Hesperia colorado) are very widespread with highly variable wing patterns.
My backpack seems awfully heavy. Not much backpacking this summer and being at only 750 feet was the price I paid for a rewarding job. Now it’s time to pay the piper, as my friend Jan always says. I feel every breath of mountain air moving into my lungs here at 8-9000 feet.
Gazing upward.
The Trans-LaSal Trail skirts the high peaks. Into and out of valleys, across meadows still filled with butterflies. I gaze at the rocks above, imagining the gorgeous alpine possibilities and jaw-dropping views of the high country, as my trail plunges me further down into the valley.

What do you do when you become painfully aware that the path you are on is not getting you anywhere close to where you want to go?

I pull out maps again, looking for other trails. But there is nothing on this end of the range that climbs the peaks. For a while, I justify the low elevation route. Stick to the path, I tell myself. Plus I’m out of shape and not acclimatized and do I have enough water and where would I camp? It’s probably not that great up there anyway.

How many times do I talk myself out of things out of fear?

Finally I snap. A meadow opens up above me. I check maps, pull out my compass and plot a route and break off from the trail. Plotting my own course.
Breathing and taking small steps upward. At the saddle, peaking across to new views.
Self-doubt dissolves. I realize I’m stronger than I though.
Spearleaf stonecrop growing in the alpine meadow, which apparently Parnassius butterfly caterpillars eat which I’ve only seen pictures of but maybe I'll be here long enough to find.


Almost to the summit. Listening to the eeps of pikas. Curiosity, freedom, and self reliance take over.
Touching mountain tops.
Tucking my hammock in a high spot.
Where my heart sings.
And I feel at peace.

More information

Starting from the Squaw Springs Trailhead, the Squaw Springs Trail heads south to join the South Mountain Trail at La Sal Pass Road. Both are part of the Trans-LaSal Trail.

Trail descriptions in the La Sal Mountain Trail Guide.

Stop by the Forest Service Ranger Station in downtown Moab for current conditions.

This was a solo backpacking trip on Sept. 2-3, 2017.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yay a comment! So glad to know you are still reading.

      I can't believe how long it's been since I wrote. It's good to be back.

      Delete
  2. You can add me to the list . Glad to read a post . I had been wondering what you have been up to .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve, Thanks for the encouragement to keep writing. Didn't write over the summer for a bunch of reasons. Now I'm back to living somewhere where I've got internet and no social life, so no excuses not to write.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the post. It's great to hear you're doing great and the pics are majestic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thanks for reading. Hope all is going well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm late to the party again :^), but love the captioned film strip ending on this post. Nice to see you posting again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, SlowBro!!! Hope you are doing well after your AZ trip.

      Delete