Sunday, September 1, 2019

Day 25. Entering the Three Sisters Wilderness

Day 25. Entering the Three Sisters Wilderness
8/3
Charlton Lake 1925 to near Elk Lake 1950
25 miles 

What a joy it is to wake to a sweet sunrise. To hear the fishes jump and sense how alive this place is. 

Lakes are plentiful all day! So I get to be choosy with the swimming. Dumbell Lake is perfect with a warm lava rock peninsula and a deep rocky bottom. And I have it all to myself!
As I enter the Three Sisters Wilderness, I look at my maps and do some calculations. I’m not suppose to meet my friends in Bend until the 7 or 8th. Plenty of time for a side trip.

Just as I am contemplating potential routes for my side trip, I run into a backcountry forest service ranger! What luck! After checking my PCT permit, he gives me the scoop on climbing South Sister— including where to camp and confirming that I will need to pick up a permit since my PCT permit won’t cover me that far off the PCT. He also warns me that it will be very crowded and suggests an early start. I’m so thrilled with my plan for an off-PCT diversion. 

I probably could have had dinner at Elk Lake Resort, but I’ve heard its busy and it’s Saturday night. I really like to sleep by myself where it is quiet and I can pretend I am having a wilderness experience. So instead I camp early in an out-of-the-way spot and plan to go over in the morning to get some food.

No comments:

Post a Comment