Thursday, March 27, 2014

PCT training: Form and Feet

Recall that I’ve been concerned about injury prevention and my feet as I’ve been preparing to hike the PCT.  Thought I'd give you an update on how things are going.
Yay, feet!!!
Form
During my training hikes these past 6 months, an old overuse injury (“IT band syndrome”) reoccurred (see previous blog post here).  I saw a physical therapist a few years ago about this, but I thought that that was all behind me.  Back in February, I had some knee pain again during a backpacking trip where I carried a fire rake strapped to my pack in the snow (probably not the smartest thing I’ve done….).   This pain scared the heck out of me, but provided further motivation to work on improving my alignment and hiking technique.

I was really thrilled when Barefoot Jake offered to talk with me about my form and posture.  Jake is a backpacker and uses minimalist footwear, and has a background in coaching.  The advice he gave me that helped me the most was how to maintain awareness of my form and how to initiate movement.  The other part that was really helpful was hearing how everyone is different and how important it is to listen to your body and adjust accordingly.  On my hikes since then, I've been paying close attention to my alignment, especially on the downhills when I’m tired and more prone to getting sloppy.  I've also been careful to stretch, to not overdo it, and not carry large wooden-handled tools strapped to my pack to throw me off balance.  Happy to report that I haven't had any more knee pain.
Walking mindfully in the snow.  Photo by Stacy Boone.
On my trip to the southwest, I noticed that this attention to form helped me on the snow.  When I shifted my weight smoothly and deliberately (and maintained a ‘zen mindset’), I had fewer problems postholing in the snow.  Bonus!

So a big thanks to Barefoot Jake.  Check out his website with lots of informative articles on barefoot and minimalist hiking and don't hesitate to give him a shout if you have questions.

Feet
I've also been anticipating potential problems with my feet.  Blisters are often a problem for hikers in So. Cal on the PCT.  During our snow skills course, one of the things that Stacy stressed was the importance of taking care of our feet and regularly stopping to air them out, treat hot spots, and keep them moisturized.  I've never had big problem with blisters and I've never needed to put lotion or body glide on my feet before, so this is going to be new to me.
Checking my feet during a rest break.  They are looking happy so far and I'm trying to keep them that way.
I also have been transitioning to lightweight, zero-drop footware for the PCT.   Because of my big feet (I have to wear men’s shoes) and bunions, I’ve always had a horrible time finding shoes.  In the past 6 months, I tried dozens of shoes and went to countless shoe stores.  Finally, the local running store fit me with Altra Lone Peaks back in October.
Renee and I in our Altras.
I have never in my whole life loved shoes as much as these.  Well, maybe those knee-high black leather combat boots with the side zipper that I had in my punk rock high school days that made me feel like a bad-ass Riot Grrrl… but I digress… Anyway, I didn’t think it was possible to have shoes that I loved again.  Ones that gripped tight to sheer rocks like I found at Canyonlands National Park.  Ones that didn’t hurt my bunions or make my little toe feel cramped when I backpack.  When I walk in them, I experience the ground differently too.  I am reminded of this quote by Thich Nhat Hanh: "Walk as if you are kissing the ground with your feet."

During my snow skills course, I wore my Altras so I could test them for the Sierra.  It may sound strange to wear light, non-waterproof trail runners in the snow, but I found a way to keep my toes from going numb with cold in them.  I used a layering system, starting with thin smartwool socks, then rocky gortex socks, then warmer hiking socks, then plastic bags, and finally two pair of gaiters (dirty girls and gortex tall gaiters).  I'm happy I can use these same shoes and just send myself the gortex socks (and perhaps the gortex gaiters) when I enter the Sierra. 
Sock and gaiter layers system for snow.
The funny thing is that Renee (who is also hiking the PCT) got fit for the exact same shoes when she went to her running store in Ohio.  And she is just as thrilled with her shoes as I am.  The take-home message is this— if you are having trouble finding shoes- don’t give up hope even if it takes you years and years of looking.  And try going to your local running store if nothing else works.

Disclaimer: All the opinions expressed are my own and I paid for these shoes with my own money.

11 comments:

  1. This story reminded me of my room mate... who hiked the whole PCT in crocs a few years ago! More recently he completed the CDT and I'm not sure what shoes he started with, but when I met him in Cuba, NM for breakfast about 3/4 of the way through the hike, he was wearing some tennis shoes he bought at a walmart near Durango! Apparently that wasn't a great decision, but he was too cheap to buy anything else. He still stands by the crocs as his #1 hiking choice, though! Hope your shoes work well for you in all conditions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow crocs! I find it fascinating people can be happy with such different footwear, and like hearing stories about people thinking outside the box. Very cool!

      Delete
  2. Yea feet! And yea Altra Lone Peaks! My new big pair for the desert are so bright and shiny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea yea yea! Will have to stop around in some mud to tone down the brightness. *Or* we could get some rit dye and have a tie dying party when you get here, in addition to the sewing party?!? I am thinking of dying my new railrider shirt because it's way too white. Ah, we really need to get out on the trail soon, this gear minutia is getting to be too much!

      Delete
  3. My feet have become so accustomed to the boots I wear that I'm afraid to try anything else for long distance hikes. I'll do short day hikes (less than 5 miles) in tennis shoes, but have to use my sock liners and hiking socks or fear the wrath of blisters.

    Glad to see you are able to work out some feet issues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was afraid to switch too- I wore the same style for the past 5 years. But I had so much trouble last year with all the rain and my feet never drying out, that I was really motivated this year to switch. It definitely took a while to switch over and took some adjustment period. I'm glad I started the process with 6 months time.

      Delete
  4. I love to read blog posts about feet. I learn something new every time. I vividly remember the day that I switched to ultralight hikers. Love mine!!!!! n the Sierras, I washed my feet at lunch and at night every day and scrubbed them with a little pine cone or rock. Nothing kept the fine dust out of my shoes. In the morning and at lunch I would put liquefied powder on my feet and at night I would put a light coat of Aquaphor. That was my regimen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just wanted to follow up to say that I used Aquaphor the whole time I was on the PCT, applying it every night, and it worked wonders. Thanks for the recommendation.

      Delete
  5. Foot care is a great topic- and I like learning about it before I have problems. Never heard of using a pine cone or rock for scrubbing- that’s a great tip! It sounds like frequent attention to foot care is the way to go. I just picked up a tube of Aquaphor and have been trying that out- nice stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you have to buy a size larger shoe to accommodate all the layers in and around your feet? Folks talk about how feet grow on the trail, but I can't see how you would be able to anticipate what to buy and when.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already get my trail shoes a bit big so I had enough room for all the layers. I also will be starting the PCT with shoes that are even a half size larger than these "training" shoes that I"ve been wearing all winter, since I know my feet swell even more in the summer. I also know from previous experience that I need to buy shoes one half size larger for summer- I have needed to do this for years even here in the southeast. I hear that some people's feet don't swell though- some of this is trial and error.

      Delete