Sunday, April 27, 2014

Day 18. Snow Day

An inch of snow blanketed the ground in Big Bear City during the night.  We heard there was five inches up in the mountains, but at lower elevations it fell as a mix of rain and sleet.  I really hoped all the PCT hikers out there had gotten to safe locations before the storm!
I stayed in town all day.  Rested, took the bus to the grocery store, ate, and hung out with Pathfinder, George and Blue Yonder.
I was feeling run down all day, and was worried I was getting sick. I tried to relax and not worry too much.  My body feels great- legs are stronger than ever and no blisters so far.  But it's the mental challenges that get me- getting worried about the snow, feeling stressed during the dangerous roadwalking yesterday.  Feeling that I'm taking too many days in town, not hiking enough miles, that the herd is now thundering down the trail towards us, ready to crowd the trail (now that kickoff is happening).  I keep thinking I'm not going fast enough to stay ahead.  

I was glad to be around George, Blue Yonder, and Pathfinder because we all laughed and had a great time and it helped me relax to be around such incredible women.  
Not sure what will happen tomorrow.  I want to get back to the PCT but I also want to be certain I'm not actually getting sick.  (And I am especially adverse to risk after what happened with Pathfinder.  i.e. No More Helicopters!)  Guess will see how I feel in the morning.

4 comments:

  1. Hope you are feeling better! Don't worry about the crowd, it'll probably thin out anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The slack pack helped- felt 100% after that! And you are right I think it will thin out. Even now, I sometimes hike all day by myself. But ten see everyone in town. A good balance.

      Delete
  2. The trail looks great in the snow. Now I know how you're getting by with no stove...that food looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food along the PCT in all the towns is incredible! I've been eating so well- definitely helps keep energy levels high having the fresh food. I don't miss a stove at all. And very important because all the fires here - all the burn areas- are really bad.

      Delete