Sunday, August 25, 2019

Day 10. Climb out of Seiad Valley

Day 10. Climb out of Seiad Valley
Seiad Valley (1656) to Alex Hole Spring (1683.3)
7/19/19
27 miles

The roadwalk is shady and cool in the early morning. I love the sound of the water echoing in a canyon. And the waterfall is the perfect size to stand under to cool off.
At this lower elevation, there are a whole bunch of new butterflies including wood nymphs which have this elegant, darting flight. One stays still for a split second and I snap a photo. Later, my friend identifies it as a Great Basin Wood Nymph, the first one I've ever found.

I sort of feel bad about not taking the official PCT. But then I remind myself to think about my own goals. This hike is just for me, right? Making lists always seem to help when I start to doubt myself.

Joan’s 2019 PCT Goals:

    1. Be joyful. 
    2. Chase butterflies. 
    3. Enjoy swimming. 

It makes me happy to realize that my goals are in alignment with my choice to follow the waterfall route.  It is not important to me to walk every official mile of PCT, though I do try for continuous steps along my route. But I'm OK to walk a different path if it will get me more swimming and more butterflies!

The day heats up as I climb. It's hot through the burn. I hide in the shade of my umbrella.
There is a sweet view from Alex Hole Spring but also fierce wind swirling about. I end up camping tucked in some sheltered trees. Feeling safe and content.

No comments:

Post a Comment