Monday, August 26, 2019

Day 14. Hyatt Reservoir

Day 14. Hyatt Reservoir
7/23/2019
From Ashland (1717.7) to Hyatt Reservoir (1744.1)
26.5 miles

We get a ride from Ashland back to the PCT with a trail angel who is knowledgable about the local natural history. I ask her about tree diversity here and she says one cool thing is that have both ponderosa and Jeffrey pine. They can be told apart by whether the cones have spines- prickly ponderosa, gentle Jeffrey pine. 

My body has so much energy after a breakfast of cheesy microwave eggs and waffles and a day and a half of rest. I love feeling the rhythm of walking and simply hiking for hiking’s sake.
Hydaspe Fritillary (Speyeria hydaspe)
I didn't see any other PCT hikers except B. all day. We had planned to camp together but I messed up and thought there was water at the Hyatt campground and there wasn’t, so I had to go back and then I couldn’t find him. Oh well.

I find some well-spaced trees for my hammock with a partial view of the sunset over the reservoir. I sure do love seeing the sunset and sunrise every single day out here.

2 comments:

  1. You had such a different experience than I did. I sped through freezing, wet and hypothermic! It's so good that there weren't fires this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I met so many dayhikers and section hikers who talked about the fires especially the last two years. Several said they were hiking this year because sections were closed or very smoky. I felt lucky everyday when I looked out to see clear smoke-free skies.

      Delete