Saturday, August 31, 2019

Day 22 and 23. Nero and Zero with my sister

Day 22 and 23. Nero and Zero with my sister
Hidden Lake 1902.4 to Shelter Cove 1906.2 cutoff
4 PCT miles plus spur into Shelter Cove (plus a zero)
7/31 to 8/1/2019

Just a few miles and I am at Shelter Cove Resort. I’ve got enough time to gobble up pancakes with an extra order of scrambled eggs before my sister and niece arrive.
I have two days of non-stop fun with my sister and her family in Eugene. They take me swimming in the local lake (twice!). I thought I'd been having fun with my solo swimming on the PCT, but they definitely raise the bar. We have races across the lake and bucking bronco challenges on their pool toys. Leave it to a 4th grader and a 6th grader to show you what you've been missing in life.

My niece and nephew also teach me moves on their slip-and-slide like the penguin and the superman which will surely improve my hiking game. Haha!
They take me shopping for my resupply. My niece helps me pick out some really good food in the bulk section. She makes all sorts of suggestions on what to get which I honestly find incredibly helpful. I especially love the dried peaches, honey sticks (which I drizzle on tortillas slathered in nut butter), and veggies chips that she picks out. If you are a long distance hiker struggling with food suggestions, I highly recommend asking a 6th grader.
It’s so sweet to get this time to reconnect with my sister and her family. My niece and nephew are such remarkable, wonderful human beings. We haven’t seen each other much these past few years and I think this trip is definitely going to change that!

No comments:

Post a Comment