Saturday, August 24, 2019

Day 7. Marble Mountain Wilderness

Day 7. Marble Mountain Wilderness
Etna (1599.7) to Shadow Lake (1620.8)
21.1 miles

My legs have extra energy after the zero in Etna. Or maybe it's because now I'm carrying a reasonable amount of food so my pack is light.
Waiting for a ride back to the PCT.
There is incredibly dramatic scenery as I enter the Marble Mountain Wilderness. All day I gawk and stare in amazement at the incredible rocks. And discover why they call these mountains "marble."


This is my friend Jan's home turf and she told me not to miss Shadow Lake. It's a steep climb down to the lake so I'm not surprised there are no PCT hikers down there when I arrive. I plan my day so I arrive with plenty of time to swim and camp there.

Unfortunately, the evening wind picks up. It's in the middle of a burn area and the only suitable trees for my hammock are a bit of a brushy scramble. Nighttime creatures wander about as I am trying to fall asleep. Eventually, my yelling at them to go away works and it is finally peaceful..

Too tired to wait for sunset. This is when I go to bed.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you stopped but bummer about the animals and burn. It's my favorite swimming lake in the Marbles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit confusing. You show Man Eaten Lake from above and then you show Shadow Lake from the shoreline.

    ReplyDelete