Sunday, September 23, 2012

Back to Unicoi Gap


 On Saturday, I got a late start from Unicoi Gap (on GA 75 north of Helen, GA) and headed south on the Appalachian Trail to Chattohoochee Gap, where I turned down the Jack's Knob Trail.  This side trail goes all the way to Brasstown Bald, but I didn't make it that far, before I turned around.  I'd done the section from 180 up to the summit of Brasstown Bald previously, and it was delightfully steep.  This section that connects the AT to 180 also followed the ridges, and offered nice views.  I probably could have made it all the way to 180, but I was worried about getting back to Unicoi Gap the following morning in time to co-lead a hike for the Trail Dames.  I guess I miscalculated my pace after spending so much time on the Bartram Trail, and I ended up back near Blue Mountain Shelter with much more daylight than I'd expected.  I'd forgotten how fast I can fly on the Georgia AT. 
white wood aster
In the morning, I met the Trail Dames for our hike to Tray Gap.  It was a gorgeous cool day, and I enjoyed hiking with people after doing so many solo trips lately. 
Trail Dames taking on the 1000 foot climb out of Unicoi Gap
Clear view from the summit of Rocky Mountain

4 comments:

  1. Funny, I had my first 'real' cry on the AT going up Rocky Mountain. I'm not sure why, but the homesickness kicked in then.

    I wish I had remembered to relish that view you had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for helping me out by leading the hike. Glad you enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Misti, interesting what you remember about certain places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for talking me into doing this hike, my friend. Takes a little prodding to get me out of my solo-hiker ways, but always enjoy the company of the Dames beyond measure.

    ReplyDelete