Saturday, August 15, 2015

Hiking with an old friend

To start out my 3-week Montana vacation, my hiking buddy from the PCT, Arizona (his trail name), flew out to hike a few days.  Arizona and I met last year at Kennedy Meadows on the PCT, and hiked together through the High Sierra to Tuolumne Meadows.  I’ve missed hiking with trail friends. 
Arizona and Hemlock in Glacier National Park
Some conversations you can only have with other long-distance backpackers.  Butt chafe, pooping, etc.  I'd forgotten what it was like to be called "Hemlock."
Arizona jokes around with his bear spray.
We scrambled off trail because that’s what we do.  Just us and the rock and the scree, free and happy and everything is right with the world.
Above Avalanche Lake.
And then Arizona left, and I wondered if I made the right call not to return to the PCT this year.  Because I felt more lonely than ever.

But then I woke up and I was in Montana.  This beautiful place.  It pulls at your heart.  So I headed back out to the trail again...

Trail Information
Avalanche Lake
Packers Roost to Flattop Mountain

2 comments:

  1. So great to see a picture of you and Arizona. I hope all is well with him. If you ever do decide to wander out to Oregon, please give me a holler, as they say, be glad to help as I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, SlowBro, I'll definitely let you know when I made it out to Oregon! Hope you are enjoying it there!

      Delete