Thursday, April 6, 2017

Chesler Park in Needles

Backpacking with my dear friend Jan in the Needles district of Canyonlands National Park in Utah. A loop from the Elephant Hill Trailhead to the Joint Trail and Druid Arch, camping at Chesler Park.
Up the Elephant Hill Jeep road towards Devils Kitchen.
Walking through the Needles is a completely different experience than Island in the Sky. Here, we are down within the canyons, enveloped within rock spires and fins.
The Joint Trail takes us through a giant rock crack. 
As gorgeous as the scenery is, the highlight of the trip is spending time with Jan. As the years go by, I feel more and more appreciative of good trail buddies. Those rare jewels that make any trip a delight. I’m even more lucky that Jan seems to come visit me wherever I roam.
Jan and I take a thousand photos in the Joint, none of which capture the incredible feeling of being surrounded by towering rock.
There is the ease of our shared outdoors rhythm and values— so many miles together means there is no question about stopping for photos of plants, no awkwardness about bathroom stops, no problems deciding how to make plans. I trust Jan’s skills and decision making fully. I trust her advice on life matters. And our ability to laugh and be silly.
Stopping at every biscuitroot to take a photo. Because they are all so cute.

Chesler Park
I also keep making the same mistakes when I hike with Jan. I forget that I’m adapted to the exhausting sand walking and rock scrambling after a few months here, and that Jan is just emerging from the darkness of winter hibernation. Why do I make this same mistake over and over— saying to Jan “This trail is flat” and “I’m sure we can make it back and forth to Druid Arch before dark.” Fortunately, Jan is always a good sport.
See, there is no elevation change here. Nope. Flat the whole way, Jan.

This ladder? The rungs in the ladder are flat. So this trail is still practically flat here. Photo by Jan
I read in a book about Bates Wilson, early superintendent of Arches who worked to get Canyonlands established as a national park, that when Bates took Secretary of the Interior Udall on a hike to Druid Arch, that Bates kept insisting “It’s only four miles.” Totally underestimating the mileage. 
From: “Blow Sand in his Soul; Bates Wilson the heart of Canyonlands” by Jen Jackson Quintan
So at least this is not the first time this has happened on the way to Druid Arch.
We make it to Druid Arch, even though it means ambitious mileage with having to return to our campsite at Chesler Park before sunset.
Our campsite, CP4, is tucked against rock spires and has an expansive sunset view.
Sunset is epic. I watch sunsets a lot here in canyon country, but many are watched solo and even though I like my solo time, nothing compares to the magic of a shared sunset. 
Colors change and get more gorgeous every minute.
More Information

Permits for overnight camping are required in Canyonlands National Park. Make your reservation as early as possible, carry out your toilet paper and poop in a wag bag, and pack in all your own water.

6 comments:

  1. I feel exactly the same! Absolutely treasure our time together. This post brought a huge smile. Love love love your photo of the biscuitroot. They look like mini lemon trees.

    BTW you know a couple who go by to name Two More Miles for the reason you noted above.

    Cheers to our next shared adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it too. Aren't those biscuitroot delightful? Haha yes TwoMoreMiles-- I suppose so. It's a hiking universal I guess.

      Delete
    2. As I FINALLY write my own post about our adventure, I reread yours to gain a few details that might have slipped through my poor memory and couldn't help myself from giggling and smiling. Oh the fun we have. Flat, yep it's flat! What will our next adventure bring?

      Delete
    3. I laughted so much too. Well, now I'm going to need some *real* flat trails in the next few weeks of recovery. Gotta heal fast so I'll be ready for the next adventure.

      Delete
  2. LOL that is a funny story, both about Jan and Bates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Misti. Yes, a sense of humor is helpful for this area. :)

      Delete