Sunday, January 28, 2018

Recovering

S. has taken off work and driven up to help me through my hernia repair surgery and the first few days of recovery.

At the hospital after they have put in my IV and after all the nurses leave and we are waiting, I say to S. in a quivering voice “I’m scared of dying.” My voice has an intensity that I’ve never known.

“But you’ll be dead and won’t even know,” she replies, “What exactly are you scared about?”

 I admire S. because she genuinely is not scared of dying.

“I still need to finish hiking the PCT,” I say earnestly, “I don’t want to die yet.”

I can feel the fear rising up in my throat and S. must see it on my face because she pulls out her iphone and opens up Gaia GPS and starts asking me questions about map layers and topo maps and trails. It calms me down and I can feel the hope creep back into my heart. And then they come in and wheel me into surgery.

***
I wake up with a giant wound in my core. I am completely helpless the first few days. I sleep more than I am awake. The surgeon told me there would be a lot of pain but I couldn't have imagined this. Like a mountain lion ripped out my insides.

Getting out of bed to go to the bathroom is a major endevor and I can barely manage it. My brain is a fog from the anasesia and then the pain killers. I hate not feeling like myself so I try to come off them too early and my body reels from the pain, shaking.

S. brings me ice packs and food to take with the pain meds, waking up at at midnight and again at 4 AM.  Then all day she is making food, bringing more ice, making reassuring sounds to calm my fears.
S.
It feels strange to be so vulnerable and completely dependent. But also strangely comforting to be completely taken care of too. I know there is some deep life lesson here. One that I think might change me, if I pay attention and don’t allow myself to forget.

***
After four days of not leaving the house, S. gently reminds me that the surgeon says I need to walk. So I ask if we can go watch the sunset at the park. Getting out of bed still requires a huge struggle. Once I am finally upright I look down at my feet and they are so far away. My leg hovers a few inches above the ground but I can’t will it up any further.  “S. can you put on my socks for me?” I whimper.

Up at the overlook, I take slow, unsteady steps on the pavement in the parking area while S. walks across the slickrock. Then I have to go back to rest in the truck and watch the the pink sunset glowing on the La Sals through the windshield while tears trickle down my cheek. It is the most beautiful sunset I've ever seen.

 (Even though you probably think I say that about every sunset.)

***
My supervisor brings over flowers and I position them in my room across from my bed. I can’t manage enough brainpower to watch a movie so when I am awake I stare at the red-orange blossoms and broad green leaves. Keeping my heavy eyelids open is difficult. Like postholing in deep snow with a backpack going uphill difficult.


After living such an active life, it is mind-boggling to not even be able to even put on pants and socks, or to walk the few steps from bed to bathroom without major effort. I am reminded of Kafka’s Metamorphosis. Waking up to find you’ve been transformed into a body that is not your own. Only this is my body. I'm stuck with it and must learn basic movements all over again.

***
I finally attempt an excursions down the street. My legs wobble as I weave down the driveway. I clutch the incision. My gait is tentative, my legs don’t respond properly, I feel like I may topple over. Finally at the junction of the driveway and the sidewalk, I pause to rest, before turning up the street. Each step is a major endevour. I make it to the next-door neighbors driveway, then the next house.
The epic adventure of the sidewalk.
 I turn around and gaze back to my house and the distance seems impossibly far. Full concentration is required for every single step. Like when you are climbing a mountain and you’ve gone up a several thousand feet of switchbacks but you still have a few more hundred feed of slippery scree left to go. Only this is two houses down, not even two blocks. Using all my willpower, I make it back again up driveway then across the living room and finally collapse back into bed.

***

I think about how glad I am to live in an era of modern medicine, antibiotics, anesthesia, and good surgeons. I try to imagine what it would have been like to get a hernia 100 years ago or a thousand years ago.

I think about how fragile and vulnerable we are as humans. It makes me realize how much I used to believe that if I take good care of my body and exercise that I will have good health. But I know that isn’t true. Things still happen no matter how much we exercise and try our best to be healthy. The surgeon told me repeatedly that there was nothing I could have done to prevent getting this hernia. Nothing except maybe staying on the couch or maybe picking parents better (my dad had one too). This is just part of being alive.

Maybe the most important lesson I am learning is how caring the people around me are. S. driving down here to be with me. My coworkers checking in on me. Friends from across the country sending me cheerful, reassuring messages. Thank you all. It means everything.
Thank you S.
More information

Here is a great informational video about hernias. The video explains how there are different kinds of hernias and also what it's like to have one. (Mine was indirect inguinal). Skip all the WebMD articles they are too scary. This pretty much explains it all.


https://youtu.be/X8Ow1nlafOg
"Living With a Hernia" by "Weird Al" Yankovic

11 comments:

  1. All my heart and thoughts are with you throughout your recovery Joan... from all that I know of you through your beautiful and inspiring blog, you will persevere and recover before you know it. I have no doubt we’ll be reading of more exciting adventures soon. All the best. We’re all rooting for you!
    Erin B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin! I really appreciate the support and well-wishes. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you made it through surgery, though it sounds like recovery might be worse? Lots of good thoughts and well wishes sent to you!

    As I've gotten older I've increasingly thought more about if something happens to my legs, that well, no more hiking. Or what if I went blind? No more seeing nature. Don't know if I could cope with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Misti. It was rough at the begining, but it's getting better slowly. I was so proud to have made it through teaching my first field trip today-- thankfully I got to do the part that was only at the visitor center so less walking. It felt so good to be back in uniform with the curious, creative, and all-around wonderful kids.

      I've noticed the same thoughts going through my head about what it would be like to not be able to walk. It makes me even more of a supporter of accessible trails. At Mammoth Cave, I got to give the accessible cave tour and it opened my eyes to the need for more opportunities like that, especially after talking to the visitors who said there were very few places they could go in a wheelchair. It's such a shame but I hope that more and more places make the small design changes that allow more access for everyone. I hadn't realized how few accessible trails there are here at Arches until now.

      Delete
  3. I had ACL surgery in 1998 and that was the worst part, adjusting to a different sort of life temporarily. I defined myself as an active runner/hiker etc and it was hard to take a break from that. So I get it. Glad you're on the road to recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn! Sounds like you sure do understand. It has been an odd adjustment. Been totally overcommitting, and then coming home and going to bed at embarrassingly early hours. Sigh. At least it's temporary and getting better.

      Delete
  4. Consider this a "Get Well Soon" card. It sounds like you are doing well in your recovery. I understand it is very distressing to put you well being into someone elses hands. The first time I spent a night in the hospital was in 2012 when I was 65. I had a severe kidney infection that cause so much pain I really didn't know if I was going to live or die. But with good doctors and nurses, I was able to recover, but I spent 6 nights in the hospital and had two procedures in the operating room. It was still very scary.

    I did feel much less distress in 2016 when I slipped on my icey driveway carrying a 50 pound bag of salt and broke my right wrist, maybe shattered is a better description. It was probably because of what I had gone through in 2012. The experience wasn't completey foreign to me. I had an excellent surgeon (he graduated high school in the same class as my younger brother). I had a metal plate and screws put in. I had a positive attitude and less anxiety this time and everything worked out. I followed my doctors orders did rehab at the clinic and at home. I recovered three weeks ahead of schedule. Pretty good for an old guy.

    What I am trying to say is that we live in a time with great medical care that can successfully treat so many conditions. Even though these surgical and hospital experiences are very different from our normal lives and provide a lot of anxiety, we and in this case you, will eventually recover and things will get back to normal. Follow your post operation plan and you will probably beat the normal recover time. You seem to love your job and where you are and work with great people. That will make a big difference. As I said before, keep smiling, we are all pulling for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course Weird Al would feature the lowly hernia. So funny. This will be your new anthem. LOL

    Props to friends, especially S. It's so hard giving up control and asking for help. I think that's going to be your lesson. The other will be a much better understanding of FLAT trails. LOL

    Just like with your stress fracture, this period of recovery will soon become a distant memory. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you been talking to S. cause she says that same thing about control and how I have a problem in that regard. Sheesh feel like I'm getting ganged up on by my besties and all that. OR MAYBE... it's all TRUE and you are all too right. Yes, that must be it! So thank you for finding a lesson to make out of all this.

      Mom says she is glad I'm finally learning about the true meaning of flat trails too, and that maybe she will hike with me again after a few months of resting and recovering after our Christmas trip. Haha actually, she only sort of said that, its a bit exaggerating, but only a little.

      Thanks again, "Dr. Jan" for all the good advice and keeping me on track and making sure I don't overdo it, and also for keeping my spirits up and making me laugh with our silly inside jokes through all of this. YOU ARE THE BEST, my dear friend!!!

      Delete
  6. That was an actually fun video. I'm liking Al a little better now, but the two of you are making me hurt again.

    OK, skip that - let's talk recovery. Luckily I recently got clued to Prisencolinensinainciusol by Adriano Celentano, a famous and beloved Italian composer, singer, actor, and director.

    People all over the world are following his method. You can try a bit of it when you feel up to it.

    Unfortunately, the YouTube video I'm thinking of isn't available to U.S. internet accounts as I just found out, so try viewing it at or downloading it (53.7MB) from my Google Drive account via https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jPvWVpvwJxfId9MYHA8Ue3zOWJigCmo7

    That video was inspired by the 1973 original, which you should be able to access, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VsmF9m_Nt8

    I have absolutely nothing better to do so I'm obsessively watching these.

    There are other versions too, but these two are enough to mesmerize us susceptible people for weeks and weeks, if not longer. (Don't bother with the words. They aren't words - it's what English lyrics sound like to Italians.)

    Prisencolinensinainciusol. Ol rai.

    Or just try this: "How Are You Feeling?" by David Shrigley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIbAPK3nmE8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOWWWWWW! Brilliant! I tried it, and it has me rocking and rolling even though I'm laying down. Seated options, too, that's marvelous! I really think this will aid recovery.

      Not sure why it's not legal in the US but I'm not watching on a govn't computer, not even close.

      Delete