Sunday, August 26, 2018

Back, Once More, to Utah

Up into the mountains my first full day back in Utah.

I think I might manage not to cry. But then the scent of southeastern Utah hits me. Oh this place!

There is nowhere on earth I’d rather be.

A friend tells me I’m lucky to be back. No, I think, this is not luck. I had to make this happen.

The peace is disrupted. Loud whooping in the distance. Then fast whooshing of bikes racing by as I leap up out of the way. Did they notice the tears on my cheeks?  How can there be so many people? There never used to be this many people.
Cow friends.
Further up I wait for cows to get off the trail. They stand and stare at me. Can I please just go that way and you go this way?

Bending over again. Oh the lightheadedness.
When I stoop over to greet the wildflowers I get dizzy when I stand up again. My body spent 3 months at 1-3k feet. And today I’m climbing from below 9k feet up above 11k feet. Because I have to be up here. Right now.

Watching a satyr comma doing its thing.
So I breathe and keep going at my molasses pace until enough time in solitude passes and I remember I’m merely hiking at the speed of botany. I greet all the plants that I have missed all summer. Hello buckwheats, hello gentians, hello showy goldeneye.

Hello
My legs do this weird cramping thing which is the same as an IT band problem I had many years ago ("runners knee" my PT called it). It started three weeks ago and I thought it was all healed up. But four days of driving across the country has made it worse again. I do some stretches and keep going.

Even being exactly the place I’ve been longing for, back to this job that feels like my life’s passion, and yet, it's not all flowers and sunshine. Darn legs. I can’t take anything for granted. Certainly not the ability to hike. Of all people, I know that lesson deep in my core.

But also being typically myself, do I turn around? Ha!

As I leave the trail and head up towards the saddle, I text Jan to tell her where I am. I’m not going to climb the peak, I tell her.

Instead, I start making my way up the other shoulder cross-country. Following the call of the pika up onto the talus. The rocks jingle jangle (oh how I love that sound!).
Should I be dancing on the talus? Yes of course!
I make it up to where I can peek into the next basin. And it is the most beautiful sight of all the places I’ve been and long to go. Will go. Terrifying but somehow I know I’ll find a way up there. Beyond where I’ve been before.
For next time.

Maybe I am filled with more joy than I have ever felt in my entire life.  Or maybe I’m just lightheaded from the altitude. All I know is that I have a better feeling than ever that I'm on the right track for me.

Hello gentian

10 comments:

  1. Welcome home! I'm glad you are back in your happy place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good to be back in a place that I love this much.

      The butterflies aren't as plentiful or as showy, and neither are the wildflowers. But this is the place that resonates. I'm so glad to be back.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on achieving goals. My daughters are both in college now, so I can identify even more with getting out and about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear your daughters are in college! Hope that means you are quitting that armchair backpacking and getting out for the other kind. :)

      Delete
    2. Right, still office-chair hiking sometimes. Kids spotted snakes far ahead of me on the trails, and now I have to watch out. Kinda scary. Friends and I appreciate your useful and inspirational guidance. And photos on the walls.

      Delete
  3. Gosh you really do love that place . Glad to hear the joy in your post. I did not realise how high that place was . Give your body time to adjust and it will .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you, Steve! Hope all is well with you!

      I sure do. My supervisor from last year was just joking with me that I keep coming back to Moab because I "drank the water" from the local spring that legend says makes you fall in love with the place. I like that there is a local legend that explains the general phenomenon that this place has the power to lure you in.

      Delete
  4. I grit my teeth when people tell me I am lucky for certain things. Because I've worked for it, like you. Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It's not luck it's work. Now granted, I do have a lot going for me that allowed me to create this life. I couldn't have volunteered in AmeriCorp for two years so that I could become a park ranger if I had debt. I wouldn't have been brave enough to quit the job I had over the summer if I didn't have a supportive family. So if by luck they mean "privileged" I'd say yes there is some of that.

      But I also work very hard. I give up so much to do this work. I'm back to working two part time jobs, both with no retirement or health care. But this is the work I most want to be doing.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful language, images, and chronicle. Sounds like you are home. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete