Thursday, January 24, 2019

Land of a Thousand(ish) Icy Stream Crossings

A Douglas fir cone! In the bottom of the wash. Even though the canyon here at the mouth is full of sagebrush, willow, and cottonwoods. Anticipation heightens. Doug fir can only grow in the coolest, wettest of places in southeastern Utah. A relic of the past. Not like on the west coast where it is everywhere. Is there a grove of douglas fir higher up? Was this cone carried down the canyon in a flood? Will we find where they are hiding?
Low down where the cottonwoods and junipers grow.
One of the reasons I’d suggested this canyon for our backpacking trip this weekend is because I’d read there was ponderosa way up the canyon. And anyone who knows me knows how much I adore the puzzle-shaped bark and vanilla-scent, the soft needles. But I hadn’t thought there might be doug fir too. How neat! Oh what critical pieces of information are left out of most trip reports and guidebooks!

The stream is partially frozen over. Ice bridges. Sometimes just thin ice on top, not enough to support a person. It’s never clear how thick until you feel the ice crack and the cold bite on your toes. No other footprints before us. Just gotta go for it. For a thousand water crossings. Well, not really but who’s counting? Certainly not us.
Bridge or thin ice?
Icy hop scotch.
Around the bend, a sunny, sandy bank! In contrast to the ice, it’s warm enough to lay out like lizards. Packs become pillows. I sink into the sand and bask in the surprisingly warm afternoon glow of the late-January sun. The babbling of the stream chasing away all thoughts. My body relaxes for what seems like the first time in the weeks since the government shutdown began. For a moment, I’ve forgotten to feel stressed about the two paychecks I’ve missed (and will never get because I won’t get backpay) and how my savings are slipping away.
Also in a sunny alcove, that which is left behind by the ancient ones.
Finally the sun dips behind the cliff wall. The temperature plummets instantly. Time to move.

I love this contrast between the warmth and the ice. How quickly it all changes.
Douglas fir cones.
The douglas fur and ponderosa appear! So good to be among them. Tucked away in the quiet canyon. I think about how this moment is just a blimp in the span of time. How many years have these big old trees seen?
Land of ponderosa.
Towering.
Getting water at camp right at sunset.
The next day, leaving the canyon, the budding willows shine in the sunlight. Change is inevitable.
Hope.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful hike--I wish I had the fortitude to winter camp. I think it may be the challenge of all the crap that comes with front-country camping...so much for such a short trip.

    I'm sorry you are having to deal with the shutdown still. And I didn't realize you (or some employees?) wouldn't get backpay because all I hear is "they will get paid later!" What a rotten situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Misti! I was so glad to get in a backpacking trip. Lately, we've been doing frontcountry car camping. While Mags has a pretty efficient system, I still am not used to all the frontcountry stuff. Though we do eat well. Yet, backpacking is my first love.

      My coworkers and I won't get backpay because our hiring paperwork hadn't completely gone though yet and we weren't suppose to start working again until January 7th, which was mid-shutdown. Fortunately, my second job has given me extra projects to work on for additional pay, which softens the blow. Also, I've picked up a third job! The third job is one I can hopefully do in the evenings once I'm done with the training. I've definitely been staying busy!

      Delete
  2. Oh I remember 1995 when I was actually employed as a seasonal, actually on the books but got nothing because natyearly they wanted to save the 1039 hours. Sure made it hard to pay rent as a GS 4. We will all get through this...but if I hear anyone else say, oh they will get paid later, I'll probably punch them. Doesn't help with bills now. Just kidding about punching. Glad you are able to get out though, and with a loved one. That's precious time you don't get back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, I didn't know they did that to seasonals before. How awful!

      It really makes me mad too that everyone assumes we get back pay. Or that unemployment will ease the pain. I applied for unemployment, but the amount I qualify for is less than what I make at my second job since I'm doing a bunch of extra hours, so I don't get any unemployment pay. If I didn't have the second job, I'd be making the same amount but I wouldn't have to work. What a crazy system.

      At least it looks like now the government will reopen soon. My savings have really been hit hard this month, but hopefully I'll be able to make up the difference so I can still take off over the summer.

      Delete
  3. You all (unpaid) are on our thoughts daily and change is imminent. I believe both exclusive parties are slowly losing their control of the younger (at least) citizens, as the scales tip in favor of the people and out of favor for the politicos. I always enjoy your stories and pics. namaste

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Looks like things will improve. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you are a winter prepared hiker and backpacker who fills her head and heart with the beauty outside. Transcribing your thoughts to words which become stories is one of my favorite things about you. I can see you chasing that pinecone.

    You are a survivor and I have no doubt you'll brush yourself off from this latest brush with the government. It was all out of your control and you found the best way possible to deal with it. No one was a winner but at least you didn't sit at home and sulk. I hope you can make this summer happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much Jan! Haha I know you can imagine me chasing the pine cones... since you've been there for this before.

      I mostly feel like I used the time well. And if the third job works out (fingers crossed!) the time I got to spend in training and learning new skills will surely pay for itself many times over.

      I'm going to do my best to make the summer plans happen anyway. We might get to work a bit longer into the summer to make up for the lost time. In that case, I'll be able to make the money that I was expecting.

      Delete