Sunday, April 7, 2019

First timers to ISKY

Four of us start down off the edge of the plateau. This is M.’s first backpacking trip in Utah and C.’s first full day in Utah. Both are interns at the park.
Into the canyon
We are on the same loop I took during my first season as an SCA here. A place to make you fall in love with canyon country. At least it did for me. The expansive views still take my breath away. Seeing it through their eyes adds an extra dose of wonder.

Still there are surprises for all of us. The first few blossoms of spring.
Paintbrush
Mags and C. join us for the first part of the day. Enough time to plunge deeply into the canyon and see the water striders gliding across pools of water.

We joke about the relative pack sizes in our group-- the difference between backpackers and dayhikers.
And we wonder what other people must think as they walk by and see M. carrying so much and Mags with his tiny pack.
C. and Mags decide to turn around to allow extra time for the climb back out. I wish they could stay but they have to work tomorrow. At least we could hang out for most of the day!
Where we parts ways.
M. and I continue on. Down to the Green River where minnows dance in the shallow backwaters.
Water near the Green River.
Not as bad after the sediment settles overnight.
We make it much further up our return canyon than I’d expected. And finally pick a spot in a side canyon.
View from our campsite.
While moving rocks to hold down my ground cloth, a scorpion surprises me.
It seemed much larger.
I relocate the scorpion up the canyon. But are there other scorpions lurking under other rocks? I figure there is only one way to find out! And proceed to turn over all the rocks in the area. But how far do scorpions roam? I widen my circle as the sun goes down. As M. set us her tent. A tent with a full zipper and netting. Scorpion-proof. Oh why did I opt for a tarp with no bug netting?!

As I turn over more rocks, suddenly, I feel something tickle my arm. Later, M. says that she’s never seen anyone rip of clothes so fast. I toss my hoodie and shirt to the ground and examine every inch of my arm. Nothing. Nothing on my clothes either. Then I notice the metal snaps on my shirt. Ah the power of the imagination to turn a snap into a scorpion.
Just like a scorpion welcome-mat.
M. points up and says, “Look at the bats!” And we joke about how they are certainly the types of bats that eat scorpions (i.e. pallid bats). Even though I don’t really know how to distinguish bat species. And somehow the idea of protective bats flying about lets me sleep deeply without fear of scorpions in the night.

Rain arrives the next morning.
The ever-changing weather of springtime.
But then the sky clears again.

Nearly there.
Back at the top, M. remarks how much her perspective of the canyon has changed after experiencing the full depth of the canyon on foot and seeing what it looks like from down below. I am reminded how many people don't have all the time to see more than the overlooks. And I am once again grateful for my extended time here and for the joys of sharing this place with friends.
Back to the high point.

9 comments:

  1. Lovely way to introduce new folks to the park! Don't think I could do what Mags does but definitely somewhere in between both of those packs would be me for just a single overnight! And I'd be doing the same as you if I thought a scorpion was on me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other interns were all talking about the scorpion incident and how they were surprised that I could sleep at all. I just read that there is only one type of scorpion around here that people have a bad reaction to, so that's not as bad as I'd thought.

      Delete
  2. I learned that (overlooks) lesson, hard, at Grand Canyon. I'll never go there again unless the north rim AND I have time to traverse. Beautiful pics and it makes me crave Utah. sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been down into the Grand Canyon-- just up on the rims. You're making me wonder what all I've missed. I'll have another opportunity in a few months...

      Delete
  3. You've been able to backpack year round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the main things I love about living here. :)

      Delete
  4. I love red rock canyon country. Your photos are beautiful. I'm glad you didn't have a scorpion in your shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That seems like such a lot of bother for a little scorpion! I'm sure all those people who found out scorpions can hurt were poking at them first. We see them all the time on the trails at night, but have never worried about them when sleeping out under the stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I admit, I totally overreacted! Totally embarrassing. After the fact, we researched scorpions in the area and realized that there aren't any life-threatening scorpions here in southeast Utah. And of course it's not like they are going to seek sleeping campers out at night. :)

      Delete