Friday, April 20, 2018

Goodbye for now, La Sals

One last backpacking trip to the La Sal Mountains before I leave Utah for my a new job in Georgia. I worry that it is perhaps too snowy, but I have to at least try to venture up inside my beloved mountains.

Grey and wintry from the start.
 At least I can get to the trailhead. But not a car in sight on the way up.  Perhaps there is a reason that everyone has flocked to the canyons around Moab, where spring is in full force and sun warms the redrock. Up here is a different world.
 

Above 9000 feet, the snow is thick. A road has been packed down which makes for easier travel. Still, several miles trudging uphill takes me longer than I expect. Blasted by icy wind, getting colder as I rise above 10,000 feet, I start to have doubts about heading up any higher.

Instead, I take a turn down a familiar canyon, one I know I will be able to navigate.
 

No human footprints up here. Just animal tracks. The air is sweet with pine. Snow crunches underfoot. Mostly, I can follow the place where the trail is hidden beneath the snow. Other times, I wander around calling "Trail, where are you?" into the wind.

Last fall, Jan and I climbed this peak. But I decide today is not a day for it given the wind and ominous skies.
The steep part where I clutch my poles tightly and don't look down.

Finally, the snow gives way to soft ground. I make my way down to the same spot where I spent my last night in the La Sals at the end of my last season here, back in May of 2017. I was only gone for the summer, then I found my way back again in the fall. If I camp here again, maybe I will make a tradition of returning too.



Not much sunset. But still, glad to be here.
 A ravine provides partial shelter from the battering winds. My hammock is a cocoon of warmth.



Morning brings clearing skies.
 


It's heartbreaking to leave this place that I've grown to love so much. My hope is that this is not goodbye forever, just so long for now.

A little teary-eyes.
I remind myself that I'm not going to an entirely new place this time. I lived in Georgia from 2008-2014. I hope to reconnect with old friends and explore some of the incredible places in the southern Appalachians. I'm just going to one of my other homes for a while.

Bluebells remind me to be hopeful.

9 comments:

  1. I kind of hate that the pursuit of work and career makes us leave places. It can also be great, sometimes. I had to move to Florida to get a permanent job, leaving a place I really loved. Worth it? Hard to say because the choice was made, can't really look back now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I both hate and love being able to live in so many different places. I learn so much by meeting new people-- I love the learning curve. But the moving and transition doesn't seem to get easier. It is will be a relief when I finally find somewhere I can call home for longer.

      At least this is a "term" position which means I get to stay there for a whole year. It feels like a step in the right direction.

      Delete
  2. Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow. It's like going from spring straight to fall again. Things just cleared up around here (OlyWA) as the weather finally caught up with the calendar, and the sun is back, which I'm more than ready for after weeks of rain (and nearly 2" in one night last weekend).

    I would like to see the La Sals some time but not quite that way, thanks. I'm ready for hot and dry now. Glad you more or less enjoyed your trip though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got some sun out there. About time.

      Down here in Moab today, traffic was gridlocked on main street and the line to get into Arches was backed out nearly to the road. But the La Sals, zero people, at least where I was. It felt like going back to winter. It was sort of enjoyable, if one is into postholing and frozen extremities. The low point though was at the highest elevation point, before I decided to turn around and camp lower down, when I found myself checking the door to the outhouse to see if it was open just in case things get bad during the night and I got desperate (given the forecast was for snow and wind and 20 degrees)-- I decided to edit that out so it didn't sound as miserable. Just good old Type 2 fun.

      Delete
  3. Good luck in Georgia! I look forward to reading about your adventures out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going back to Georgia has to be good for you personally in may ways. Have never been there, myself, but it looks interesting in your posts. Just hope you know that you have already inspired many people, including me and some of my friends, to revisit some awfully significant and inspirational landscapes in the West. We enjoyed it greatly, looked pretty closely, and asked a lot of additional questions. In these times, that means a lot. Won't be quite the same without knowing that you are out there, somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It warms my heart to hear this. Thank you, sincerely.

      Delete
  5. Welcome back to Georgia my friend!

    ReplyDelete