Sunday, December 24, 2017

Chiricahua National Monument

“I’ve got it! Let’s do all the trails!” I announce to Jan as I'm pouring over maps of Chiricahua National Monument.

We don’t really. But we cover most of the trails as we learn about the history and unique geology of this off-the-beaten path place in southeastern Arizona.
Chiricahua National Monument contains incredible rock formations. A massive volcano 27 million years ago deposited layers of ash and pumice that formed the rhyolite. Over time weathering gave rise to wildly shaped columns and pinnacles.
The first stop is the Visitor Center to pick up a Junior Ranger book. It will provide hours of entertainment during the 12 hours of darkness spent huddled in our tents.
We also learn that there is a FREE hiker shuttle. Perfect since it will allow us to hike from the top of Echo Canyon, over the Hailstone Trail, around the Mushroom Rock and Balanced Rock Trails, add side trips to Inspiration Point and Heart of Rocks, and come out the Lower Rhyolite Trail back to the Visitor Center near the campground. No personal vehicle required!

After getting our campsite, my parents drop us off at the Natural Bridges Trailhead (they decide to head back to town to get a hotel). The interpretive sign promises a dense stand of Apache pine trees along the trail. I'm been confused about how to identify them and hope this will help.
It looks like ponderosa pine to me but the needles of apache pine are longer.
On the roadwalk from the Natural Bridge trailhead back to the campground, I chase a butterfly but only get a lousy photo.
My butterfly buddy says this is an American Snout. Maybe if you squint you will agree? I'd only seen one before in Kentucky. The caterpillars feed on netleaf hackberries, which are a small tree found along streams.
On the walk from the campground to Faraway Ranch, I pull out my Junior Ranger book and start learning the trees along Bonita Canyon.
The biggest Alligator Juniper I’ve ever met.
One of the activities in the junior ranger book is a scavenger hunt at Faraway Ranch. Jan helps find everything on the list.
It takes us a while to locate the inscriptions made by the Buffalo Soldiers here on these stones. We learn they were stationed in Bonita Canyon in 1885-6 to fight the Apache. The stones were originally part of a monument to President Garfield that were later re-purposed to build Faraway Ranch’s fireplace.
The sun goes down early. I'm glad I have my junior ranger book to keep me busy with the word search and bird-related crossword puzzle.
The next morning, Mexican Jays squawk loudly and another bird flies high up into a tree.
What could this be? An exciting tropical bird?
I discover in my birding app that Mexican jays are often followed by northern flickers in winter. Ah ha! Apparently flickers take advantage of the jay’s alarm calls to warn against predators. So while I never do spot an elegant trogon, the good thing about being an inexperienced birder is that everything is new and exciting so I don't need to find something rare to be satisfied.

Finally the visitor center opens and I get sworn in as an official Junior Ranger. At 9 AM, an SCA drives us in the park van to the trailhead at Echo Canyon.
Once we get beyond a half mile down the trail, we don't see anyone until we are within a mile of the visitor center.
Jan takes her lunch break on a high perch at Inspiration Point.
I joke with Jan that this is an imposter balanced rock because, coming from Arches, we've got the *real* balanced rock. Though to be honest, this one has a narrower neck, so is perhaps even more spectacular.
In our only patch of sunlight on the otherwise shady Echo Canyon Trail, we take another rest break.
Wow an ANT!
According to the natural history guide, the Chiricahuas have over 135 species of ants. What incredible diversity! I'd been looking hard for ants for the past four days and laughing with Jan about how I couldn't find something as pedestrian as an ant.
Then, Jan spots this bug. Which turns out to be a redcoat seed bug.
“Two wildlife species!” declares Jan.

I agree wholeheartedly that insects count as wildlife.

My parents meet us coming down the Lower Rhyolite Canyon. They spent the day on the park road and were impressed with all the viewpoints and interpretive signs.

Overall, Chiricahua is one of my new favorite places for the surprising botanical (and zoologic!) diversity and unique geology.

More Information

For a different take on our visit to Chiricahua, read Jan's blog post.

Chiricahua National Monument is located in southeastern Arizona.  There is no entrance fee for the park. There was a $12 fee for the campground but the price is going up next year.

Sign up for the free hiker shuttle the day before and pick up your Junior Ranger Book at the Visitor Center. 

https://www.nps.gov/chir/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

6 comments:

  1. I hereby crown you Chief Anter. You've already earned your birder wings. It's so fun to partner our posts. Readers may suspect we were on different hikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I be Chief Anteater too? LOL.

      It is so fun to read your stories of our hikes together too. It does make you wonder about how we can be on the same trip and see things so differently.

      Delete
  2. That's awesome that there's a free shuttle! I wish more places had those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so impressed with the free hiker shuttle. It made accessing the backcountry, especially the Heart of Rocks Loop, much easier.

      I'm glad they are encouraging hiking at this park through this program and also with the "Rock the Rhyolite, Hike for Health" pins that we got for hiking more than 5 miles.

      https://www.nps.gov/chir/planyourvisit/outdooractivities.htm

      Delete
  3. Carson HU-10 BugView.

    I saw a short blurb on this yesterday, somewhere, and thought that maybe my spiderphobe sister could use one. Then I thought "naw", and forgot about it.

    So, 18 or so hours after reading your remarks about ants, the itty bitty gears in my teeny tiny brain finally make enough turns, and I get an idea, eh?

    I know you're tough and gnarly and all that, but maybe there are a few bugs you would like to look at but not touch. Or maybe there are other Junior Rangers who could use one of these gizmos.

    So, FWIW, as they say...

    Carson HU-10 BugView: http://amzn.to/2BEvzXK

    Other bug viewers: http://amzn.to/2DgAWNm

    Disclaimer: Just in case anyone wonders, no, I don't make any money from this. I have two separate, well-known governments sending me money every month just to stay away and nap quietly in a corner and not bother them or anyone else, and that's the whole of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never seen these before. Cool! I'm glad there are more gagets for the entomologically-inclined.

      My students (who are in elementary school) really like those little boxes with the magnifying lids, sort of similar. But we mostly just pick things up with our hands and hope nothing bites.

      Delete