Monday, September 2, 2019

Day 26. Side trip off the PCT

Day 26. Side trip off the PCT
8/4
Near Elk Lake 1950 to Elk Lake cutoff 1952.6
2.6 PCT miles + 10 non-PCT miles
12.6 miles
Elk Lake to Moraine Lake not on the PCT

Today is the start of my South Sister side trip. I’m planning to summit South Sister tomorrow, but first I need to take a detour to get more food and pick up a permit.

I arrive at Elk Lake Resort an hour before they open for breakfast. My hiker hunger has kicked in and I am lightheaded with low blood sugar by the time I order. The french toast and scrambled eggs are the most delicious I’ve ever had. I slather them with butter and drench them in syrup, then ask for extra syrup. Would it be excessive if I asked for extra butter too? As I devour them, I eye the butter packets that the man at the table next to me left behind. Would anyone notice if I just grabbed them off his dirty plate? 

After breakfast, I feel like the Very Hungry Caterpillar in the book I read to my first grade students— I’m still hungry! But ice cream isn’t served until 11 AM. I NEED ice cream. So more waiting. 

Finally, the ice cream counter opens. The strawberry ice cream root beer float with two scoops of ice cream is most marvelous I've ever had! Juicy chunks of strawberries mixed with flavored sugar water melt on my tongue. I try to make it last forever by eating it spoonful by tiny spoonful, going for a Slowest Know Time of Root Beer Float Consumption (SKT of the RBFC). But it is gone too soon. My stomach is a bottomless pit and I contemplate staying here all day and ordering root-beer float after root-beer float. But I know I need to hike.

I make my way on non-PCT trails to the trailhead where I get my free permit to climb South Sister. When I get to the trailhead, I see a Forest Service Ranger at the signboard and approach him to ask some questions. Turns out he is an Americorps member so we have that in common and he wants to hike the PCT someday. Despite the fact that it starts to rain, I ask a million questions and talk as if I haven’t had much conversation for the last few days — which I suppose is because I haven’t! Thankfully, he is happy to share information which I really appreciate!

The storm intensifies as I climb. I clutch my umbrella as claps of thunder migrate across the sky. This is the first rain I’ve had all trip, and it figures that it is coming down just as I am heading up to my highest elevation that I will reach all summer.
I talk to hikers coming down the mountain and hear frightening tales of their close calls with lightning. Hair standing on end and feeling the electricity so near. When I ask the hikers how it was the most common answers are “long” and “brutal” and “terrifying.” Will the storm pass before I climb tomorrow?

I just keep climbing.

As I approach Moraine Lake, the sky clears! But I can see more dark storm clouds coming in the distance. I need to find a campsite quickly! 

I rush down the trail to the designated campsites. The thunder keeps booming as I circle around the lake looking for a spot. The FS has installed posts with number that you are supposed to camp near within the Moraine Lake Area. But the unoccupied site are too exposed for me and facing into the wind. My original plan was to camp in a designated campsite, since that is the most LNT option in this area. But because of the danger of the storm, I decide that I will figure out a plan b. I hike cross country until I am outside of the Moraine Lake Area, which puts me even further away from the Summit Trail, but I know it is the right thing to do LNT-wise and I definitely don’t want to break any laws. 

Finally, I find a cluster of dense trees on a slope. No one else has ever camped here or will probably will ever camp here. It looks perfect!

Just as I get my hammock hung and tarp pitched, it starts to rain and then hail like crazy. The thunder booms in all directions. I wedge my umbrella under my tarp as extra protection from the storm.
I try to enjoy the patter of rain on my tarp. I try to feel thankful that I have a tight pitch. I try to remind myself how exciting it is to be on adventure off the PCT. But really I just want the thunder to end ... pretty please. It finally does end and I fall asleep early in anticipation for an early start tomorrow.

When I get up in the middle of the night, the sky is filled with stars which tell me the storms have passed.

1 comment:

  1. 1. LOVE the Moraine Lake photo, that's a WOW beauty!
    2. You know I'm giggling when you can say that was the best ever
    3. SKT, need I say more?

    ReplyDelete