Friday, September 20, 2019

Day 33. Mount Jefferson Wilderness

Day 33. Mount Jefferson Wilderness
8/11/2019
Santiam Pass (2001) to Milk Creek (2028)
27 miles

One of the best things about hiking solo is getting to hike my own way. 

Even if it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to other people.

I am a person who loves out-and-backs. I appreciate getting to see the same landscape at a different angle and in different light. I noticing things I missed the first time because it teaches me how to better pay attention. I can also pick awesome campsite on the way back for amazing sunsets.

For the last 40 mile section to connect my steps between Santiam Pass and the random lake that I ended at south of Ollalie Lake in 2016, I did an out-and-back, for a total of about 80 miles. I would imagine that most people would have hiked one-way and then hitchhiked from Ollalie Lake. But I LOVE out-and-backs and I also had some extra time.
The day started off cold and windy and progressed to cold and with spitting rain. There were even a few flurries. I couldn’t see the top of Three Fingered Jack or Mount Jefferson at all. 
Mostly everything was just shrouded in mist.
I didn't expect to hike this far, but I wanted to get set up for a shorter day my last day.

5 comments:

  1. I did an out and back this summer so I didn't have to crawl down Mount Whitney!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very much so we cannot possibly see everything by passing through but once. A return passage gives a chance to savour, see deeper and relish a small sprig of familiarity. Lovely. You are so lucky to walk so.




    ReplyDelete
  3. Thrus definitely thought I was a little crazy doing an out and back on Knife's Edge in Goat Rocks.

    ReplyDelete