Thursday, August 22, 2019

Another summer on the PCT

I spent another wonderful summer savoring a long section hike on the Pacific Crest Trail!

Starting from Castle Craigs/ Shasta (where I left off in 2014), I connected my steps by hiking up to near Ollalie Lake (where I left off in 2016).

But this trip wasn't about the miles. It was a journey through my home state of Oregon. Connecting places that I remember visiting as a child. Visiting friends and family that I haven't seen in years. These volcanic landscapes felt incredibly personal.

I absolutely loved traveling along the Pacific Crest Trail this year. I appreciate this trail for being so sweetly graded, lovingly maintained, so incredibly well signed. It seemed almost too easy. But because of that, I felt like I could focus more on the incredible beauty and the joy of hiking. It was truly a daily delight to wake up and be able to do my very favorite thing in the world-- hiking everyday!

While I kept a journal, I didn't publish as I went so I would have more time to enjoy myself. Now that I am back, I will be editing my journals and posting them here.

I am grateful for having a rare thing in the NPS, a two-month summer furlough. Which means that I get to return to my job at Arches now. I'm hoping that I'll be able to finish my last 200+ miles of the PCT that I have remaining in Washington at a later time.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. "...the incredible beauty and the joy of hiking." Well said.

    ReplyDelete