Thursday, August 22, 2019

Day 2. Butterflies galore


Day 2. Pacific Crest Trail Section Hike (Northern California through Oregon)
7/11/2019
Mile 1523.5 (Helen Lake) to 1545.9 (Chilcoot Creek)
22.4 miles

Since I’ve started this section hike, I spend a lot of time doubting myself and starting to think that it’s lame that I’m hiking the PCT. I have the skills to hike a more technical trail. And I love creating my own routes in Utah and not seeing anyone on them. The PCT is popular and doesn’t seem remote in comparison to many places I’ve been the last few years. Like other things that become really popular, it now seems “uncool” to hike the PCT. 

But as I hike, I come to the realization that I really like the PCT. No, I LOVE the PCT. Exactly because of the sweet, gentle grade. It allows me the energy to chase butterflies and take side trails to swim in lakes. I love the easy navigation so I can focus on looking and plants and views and scenery. I realize that there is a reason that the PCT is so popular— it is accessible and kind and absolutely lovely. And it is exactly where I want to be!
Today is a joyful day. The trail stays high up on ridges and the slopes are covered with wildflowers all the colors of the rainbow. I love being able to gaze at the scenery all day since navigation is so easy. Plus, no blowdowns. It feels like I'm cheating.
Early morning views
It's so nice not having to look at my feet all the time. Instead, I can look at everything around me. Butterflies dart all about. Incredible what diversity is out here! A few even stay still long enough for a photo. I can hardly wait to get to town to upload the observations into iNaturalist (an app to identify and document plants and insects). One is a parnassius butterfly that I’ve read about but never seen in real life. Parnassius butterflies are cool because they live in alpine habitats and have thick black bodies to stay warm. I’m so excited to upload my observation so that other people can identify it and tell me exactly what species it is. 
Later this is identified as a pheobus apollo (Parnassius phoebus) which is also found in the Alps.
So many dotted blues! Yet another species we don't have in Utah.


Two dramatic lakes with inviting waters provide swimming opportunities. It is so refreshing to feel the cool water.

The PCT continues to feel uncrowded, even though I know that there are tons of other hikers out there somewhere. But I only see three hikers going SOBO- two section hikers stop to chat. I'd been worried about the snow, but they say most of it has melted and there are no sketchy spots.
Just enough snow to look pretty. But nothing hard.
Finally, I am laying in my hammock, watching mayflies doing their mating dance above me. At first I thought they were mosquitoes, but then I looked closer and saw their long causal filaments. Incredible!

6 comments:

  1. I have the same reservations about the PCT you mention. But, it does look glorious and wow that butterfly! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you understand. I ended up having a marvelous time, but my last day, I went southbound and that day felt really crowded. I think it was also because of the way the high snow spread the other hikers out.

      Delete
  2. I have zero PCT reservations. Being in NY for weeks has reminded me of how the AT is such a grinder. Your pics make me homesick but I should be back to the wild west soon enough. Thanks for your posts and I love the butterfly mentions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you appreciate the butterflies! They were such a highlight of this trip.

      Delete
  3. The older I get the less I want to do off trail scrambles. But I don't think actually it is about being old. It's more a personal preference. I have zero PCT reservations either. Love the trail so much.

    ReplyDelete