Saturday, August 24, 2019

Day 8. Descent to Grinder Creek

Day 8. Descent to Grinder Creek
7/17/19
Shadow Lake (1620.8) to Grinder Creek (1646.8)
26 miles

More gorgeous views through the Marble Mountains with only a few patches of snow.
The long descent is brushy but thankful a trail crew has freshly cleared a huge number downed trees. I feel so fortunate to have reached this section when I do.
Two guys that leapfrog with me the whole day see two bears in the thick, berry-filled brush. But they must have scared them off since I don't see the bears. Only berries.
The last bit of trail has poison oak patches which I am careful to avoid. Plus this is where I am glad I’ve got my tall gaiters for added protection.

The Grinder Creek canyon has suffered a recent burn. It takes me a few miles after I want to stop to find live trees for my hammock. The tent campers have to go even further to find a flat spot. But I finally do find a lovely grove of trees near the creek. There is even a little sandy beach where I relax and soak my weary feet. 
I’m just nine miles from town so hopefully I can get to the cafe in Seiad Valley before it closes!

4 comments:

  1. Was through there a few months ago and enjoyed the Native museum. Beautiful range and the tribes were left alone longer than most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first photo is so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt very peaceful there too. So grateful for the good weather that day.

      Delete