Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Day 16. Mosquitoes attack

Day 16. Mosquitoes attack
7/25
1767.5 to 1792.5
25 miles

My hammock sure gives me the best sleep! My eyes open right at 5:30 on the dot, just like every morning. No alarm needed. I wake up so excited because I get to hike today! Just like yesterday, just like tomorrow. Yay!
It turns out that today is full of lava rock awesomeness with views of Mount McLoughlin. And I feel so good and totally happy. Life couldn’t get any better.
At Christi Spring I meet two gentlemen who introduce themselves as Wizard and Wild Turtle. We take a break together and they talk about elk and bear hunting and I love their cheerful attitudes.
In the afternoon, MOSQUITOES ATTACK! Walking with a headnet is fine, but oh my hands- they bite right through my sungloves, the shoulders of my shirt, and swarm my knees. The last mile I resort to putting on my raincoat and pants. Of course it is uphill and hot. So I am a sweaty sauna. But I am protected so I can slow down and look for trees for my hammock.

I rush to put up hammock and retreat ASAP even though it is still sunny. They can't get me in my little cocoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment