Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Day 17. Through the burn

Day 17. Through the burn
7/26
1792.5 to before the Crater Lake NP boundary (1814.3)
21.8 miles

The ridgewalk in the morning was unexpectedly lovely. I thought it would be lifeless and miserable through the burn, but instead there were loads of butterflies. The geology here is incredible and I wish I knew more. 

Tomorrow I’ll make it to Crater Lake. I’m really excited because my friend is a park ranger there. I haven’t seen her since we were both Americorp members in Montana State Parks, long before we both because NPS park rangers. She texts me that is giving a trolley tour tomorrow afternoon. When I get to a high point, I check for cell phone reception. I have enough bars so I call the reservation office and get tickets for her trolley tour. I sure hope I can make it in time and get in a shower beforehand!
The remainder of the day proves physically and mentally challenging. The mosquitoes are swarming so rest breaks and eating are challenging.

Then there is a hot, long (21 mile) water-less stretch through the burn. It is tough loading up with 4.5 liters of water (since I will have to dry camp too)— I should have trained with a heavy pack before I came out here and now I’m paying the price. I proactively tape my blister spots so my feet don’t suffer too much.

The burn totally scorched everything in a few places- what starkness compared to walking through all the green. 
But finally I get far enough that I think I will make it to Crater Lake in time. So I set up camp for the evening.

Laying in my hammock, I realize I am now more dirty than I have been in years- the sweat made all the dust stick. Normally, I wash off at a stream (LNT style- I carry the water away from the stream in a ziplock), but the darn mosquitoes made washing up impossible. Near any stream the mosquitoes were so bad I had to wear my raincoat, rainpants, and headnet- talk about sweaty!

But despite all the mosquitoes, soreness, and dust, I love being out here and would not trade this experience for anything else. There is satisfaction in pushing through the difficulties and finding the joy amid the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment