Saturday, August 24, 2019

Day 5 and 6. To Etna

Day 5 and 6
7/14 and 7/15
1587 (Bingham Lake) to Etna Summit (1599.7)
12.7 miles (plus a zero the next day)

It is steep scramble back to the PCT from my camp at Bingham Lake. Another hiker looks up as I crash through the brush high above him. But then when I finally get to the PCT, it is a long stretch through the burn, so I am pleased with my decision to stop when I did.
As I am getting close to the road to hitch into Etna, I meet a woman and her teenage boys. She hardly believes I’ve been out five days. “You’re too clean!”  I tell her all about feeling refreshed because I’ve been swimming in all the lakes. 

We get to talking and it turns out that she has done some long distance bike trips. She leans in to give me wise advice. “Don’t get focused on the end-point or the goal,” she says. I tell her how I always make sure to take my time by stopping to swim in lakes. “Well, just be sure to only swim in just lakes you want! Don’t get caught up in thinking you have to swim in all the lakes.” Which is advice I love! Because even with my side trips, I know I can get pretty driven. 
Cliff maids (Lewisia cotyledon)
It’s hot when I get to the road crossing (again, thankfully I have my umbrella). Another hiker is there already so we wait for a hitch together. The first truck going our way stops and gives us a ride.  Not a bad hitch at all!

In Etna, I head to the the R & R Bunkhouse, a work-for-stay place that I’ve heard is awesome from a southbounder. I feel fortunate to get a bed here! Cate tells stories of the town history. There is a garden and everything is in walking distance. Perfect place for a zero!
Fresh veggies from the garden = heavenly

No comments:

Post a Comment