Thursday, August 3, 2023

Day 2. Moody Washington

Day 2
7/10/23

Below Tatie Peak to before Methow Pass

Today there was moody Washington weather... and I loved it! The fog rolls over the mountains and we get to see it from high places. The cool air makes hiking so sweet. I don't miss the dry heat and intense sunlight of Moab at all. Today, we get clouds and the threat of rain and I couldn't be happier.

I peer down after reaching a pass and realize that there is an incredibly steep descent stretching out below. Will my knees be able to handle it? I slow my pace and Jan is way down ahead of me. But I have no confidence. She waits for me and we take an extra break. And before I know it we are at the bottom at Glacier Pass and my knee is fine. Just fine. Maybe I will make it to Canada after all.

Jan and I aren't heading to Canada at this point though. Our plan is unusual. But fits us perfectly. I love out and backs and taking our time. Jan doesn't want to deal with a car shuttle or logistics of going into town. So we've left Jan's car at Harts Pass and our plan to complete the northernmost 50-60ish miles of the PCT is to do two out-and-backs from the mid-point, Harts Pass. We are starting with an out-and-back going south towards Rainy Pass-- but actually we don't need to make it all the way there since last time we turned around several miles north of Rainy. So we are setting up today for tomorrow's out-and-back where we can slackpack and just leave our camping stuff, tag our turn around spot from 2016, and then come back to camp. What fun! Plus, we get to hike more miles this way which appeals to me!

At the end of the day, we encounter lots of blowdowns. Jan has shorter legs and these blowdowns are exhausing for her. I've got really long legs, so I find it easy to step over them. Jan is starting to dread going back over these on an out and back. We will see if we end up sticking with our plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment