Monday, August 21, 2023

Day 9. Finishing the Pacific Crest Trail

7/17/23 Day 9
Hopkins Lake to Canada (and back to Hopkins Lake)
Washington section of the Pacific Crest Trail

Jan and I made it to Canada today. As of today, I have hiked the entire PCT, some of it multiple times because of all my out-and-backs.

Me at the border monument. PCO Jan
The rain starts and is on again off again all morning. The scenery is mostly for forest with views through the trees and sweet, kind PCT-grade trail. It's good terrain for rain.
Umbrella time!
The monument itself is sort of like I'd expect from seeing other peoples' photos. But it also feels surreal like being on a movie set or peaking behind the scenes of a famous place. I know there will be the cut of trees, because that's the classic backdrop I've seen in other peoples' finishing photos. But I didn't expect the flowers or the rooty bare ground that so many have sat upon.
Jan and Joan.
When we arrive at the border monument, there is already a couple from Maryland (snow-bos) who we’ve been leapfrogging with there. We chat with them and we do a photo shoot.

Jan asks me how I’m feeling but I’m feeling so much it's hard to explain! First, I'm happy. I mean, I did it! But there is also a feeling of disbelief. I've still been thinking it might not happen. I also feel some sadness at finishing. I love the PCT so much and its a part of this chapter of my life. And now I wonder how I'm going to find something as good. Certainly no trail can possibly be as kind, reliable, joyful, and gentle as the PCT!


There is also freedom in knowing this chapter is over. I know that no other trail will be like this trail has been for me … because it has been a constant for the past 10 summers. While I’ve done section hikes 5 of those summers, not being on the PCT for the other 5 summers was still full of anticipating and knowing I’d return. Now that this is over, anything is possible.

I am also overwhelmed with gratitude for the many people that have helped me and showed incredible kindness, and especially for the wisdom imparted along the way.

Holding my PCT Class of 2014 bandana.

I think about how back in April 2014 when I started, I hadn't even met Jan! And how we met in 2014 during my stress fracture and how we ended up being bestie hiking buddies. And now we’ve hiked so many miles together and been through so much.

Look at this! Jan surprises me with a tasty treat! WOW!

I send an inreach message to my parents. They've been incredibly supportive my whole life and I feel so lucky to have them close to me! I also inreach Mags who truly understand how to integrate hiking and life.

A lot of people that have been important for my PCT hike, I've lost touch with over the years. But I send out my thoughts to them. I think about those I've hiked many PCT miles with- Susan, MeToo, Arizona, and Coach. I think of Renee who helped me get started with long-distance hiking, and with whom offered much support and PCT smiles. I think of Steph who helped me transform my stress fracture into a success and got me back out to the trail and saw me through such a dark time. I think of Still Waters who always believed in me. (Still Waters- if you ever read this, I want you to know that I carried your note the whole way and read it countless times and it gave me strength and wisdom to get me through so much. Thank you for everything, Still Waters.)

I am also grateful to my right foot especially for healing after the stress fracture, for turning my thru hike into a section hike, which has given me almost a decade of the PCT woven into my life.

One the return trip, Jan and I have fun chatting. I return to inaturalizing and finally seeing the pika that we've been hearing out frolicing.

That's me frolicing too. PCO Jan

Evening winds increase and I have bad memories too of many horribly windy PCT nights. So we climb away from the lake and amazingly there is less wind here and I am pitched between trees that are at the absolute limit of the length of my tarp. The temperature is dropping fast but so far I am cozy and Jan found a good spot close by so yay what a day!

Hardly any wind up here away from the lake.
As I fall asleep, I have more thoughts about finishing. Before I started the PCT, I remember spending so much time planning for the PCT and wondering how it would change me and wondering what I'd learn. Now I know that I can absolutely do and finish anything. I am persistant. And I can find all the joy in doing it too. I am also grateful that my PCT experience has been my own. That it was on my own timeframe. That I hiked my own direction. That I hiked my own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment