Sunday, August 20, 2023

Day 8 Holman Pass to Hopkins Lake

7/16/23 Day 8

Holman Pass to Hopkins Lake
Washington section of the Pacific Crest Trail

Last night’s sleep was made possible by the wonders of ear plugs. I always keep ear plugs in my first aid kit- it's one of those emergency items that I'm always glad I have for situiations when other people camp nearby. I got solid sleep and was ready for the day!


Jan and I were up and on the trail by 6:15 like always. Today started out witha climb but the reqards were outstanding. We enjoyed views practically all day. The stretch over Rock Pass then over Woody Pass was amazing. There were even clear sky views off to the west of stunning glacier capped peaks including Mt Baker! 

I know that the Canadian border is a rather arbritrary end to this hike. But the scenery in these north Cascades is absolutely stunning and finishing here doesn't seem like a let down at all. It's truly one of my favorite sections (though of course I say that about all the sections LOL).

Jan and I can't pass up an opportunity to make snow angels!

These are the types of views that make me glad I waited to hike this section for a smoke-free window! It was worth the wait!

When sorting through our food bags, Jan and I discovered that we’d both brought an extra dinner and breakfast. Normally I'd be frustrated that I hadn't calculated my food properly and was carrying extra weight. But because it's Jan, and we both did it, we decided that it means that can stay out another night! This is another reason I am grateful to Jan for her awesome, relaxed hiking style. I'm excited about maximizing our time on the trail instead of having to rush back.

We passed Jans friend Nick who started his FKT attempt today. We also saw him yesterday on his way to the boarder — luckily since he had more time to talk then.

View of Hopkins Lake from above

In the evening, we had a hard time finding a campsite with two hammock-spaced trees for me and a flat spot for Jan. But finally we did it! We are camped near Hopkins Lake, which is surrounded by steep cliffs and the water is clear and colorful. We had a "long" swim in the lake- maybe 5 whole minutes- the water was THAT warm. Haha!

Hanging out after swimming in Hopkins Lake

Tomorrow, if all goes as planned, we will get to Canada! You can tell that I'm still not taking it for granted that I'll actually make it. Even though it's just a few miles away. But I've had so many things happen over the years, that I'm not confident that there won't be problems. Just have to see how it goes.

With the end being near, I’ve been wondering if I am one of the last Class of 2014 finishers, or if there are others from my starting year who are still going section by section. I also wonder if most Class of 2014 finishers completed in 2014 or if more people who started that year AND who complete the trail were section hikers and completed over multiple years. There are only a few section hikers that we’ve met. But no one else that we’ve met is completing the PCT. I wonder if I will be the only person who completes the PCT tomorrow.

I’m grateful to Jan for being here for this finale with me. She has been so supportive and genuinely happy for me and it fills me with joy to share this with her.

In the evening, I notice I've got a hole in my shirt, so I take the time to patch it up. You might think that because I am a section hiker that I have all new gear, but quite the opposite is true. My clothes and gear are worn from many, many trips. But I did restock my thread and repair tape before this trip, thankfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment