Saturday, August 19, 2023

Day 7. Harts Pass to Holman Pass

7/15/23

Harts Pass to Holman Pass

Pacific Crest Trail in Washington state


Good thing I had that nap on our zero day! Last night was loud in the campground until hiker-2AM (ie 11 PM). Folks were driving in after dark, making stinky campfires (ugh I hate campfires because they burn my throat and make my eyes red and puffy), and talking late into the night. Really, nothing more than you’d expect at a campground. Only Jan and I are on hiker time- meaning waking at dawn (5:30) and going to sleep at dusk (or earlier!).

Today our packs were heavy with 5 days of food but I felt so refreshed after a full zero day and was full of energy. And ready to see what this last section of my PCT hike has in store!

Filling out our self-issued wilderness permit

We could see many of the peaks we’d identified on yesterday's visit to Slate Peak lookout. And we could see the lookout tower several times as we wound around on PCT-grade trails below.

We set up camp at a large campsite where we figured other hikers would join us but couldn’t find a smaller site. And sure enough three people are set up nearby. Hopefully they wont stay up too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment