Friday, August 18, 2023

Day 6. Rest day at Harts Pass

7/14/23

Jan and I have a fun and restful zero day at Harts Pass.

Slate Peak Lookout

Jan suggests that we head up to Slate Peak lookout and it is totally incredible! We take a morning drive to the parking lot and then climb a short ways up to the lookout. It gives us incredible views and we luck out with clear bluebird skies. Signs identify the surrounding peaks- including our past and future trail. Jan talks about previous trips she's made to the nearby mountains and I learn to identify their distinct shapes. It makes the rest of the trip more meaningful to be oriented this way. I feel so lucky that Jan suggested this diversion!

We sit enjoying views for a long time.
We’d thought there might be cell service at the lookout and I was both looking forward to seeing if I could get email and download more books from the library but also hoping there was no service since I’m enjoying the break so much. There was no service which was kind of a relief- and I used my inreach to check in with my folks who are meeting Jan and I in a few days. But besides that, I enjoyed the silence.

We spent the afternoon napping and avoiding the mosquitoes with various methods. My favorite was using my map as a mosquito barrier-- plus I could use the map to dream about future trips!

While relaxing, Jan finds her trail journal that she has saved from our 2016 Washington PCT section hike. She treats me to a read alound and we relive the memories together and share more laughter.

Jan cooks up a feast of delicious chili mac
Plus more butterflies and inaturalizing

No comments:

Post a Comment